Happy New Year!
Posted tagged ‘Happy New Year’
I have been reading from the Book of Psalms during my early morning quiet time the past several days. This morning I read Chapter 9.
The title for this chapter is “Praise for Victory over Enemies.” In the twenty verses of this Psalm, David praises the Lord for many things, including:
- His protection of David from his enemies
- the fact that the Lord abides forever and that He judges from His throne that is established forever
- being gracious
- not forsaking those who seek Him
- making Himself known in righteous judgment
- not forgetting the needy
Verses 1 an2 are verses that I memorized years ago, and as I read them this morning, they seemed to me to be appropriate verses to close out the year 2008.
I will give thanks to the Lord with all my heart; I will tell of all Thy wonders. I will be glad and exult in Thee; I will sing praise to Thy name, O Most High.”
As I reflect back over this past year and remember how the Lord has revealed Himself to me and my family in all the ways that He has, and how He has provided for and kept us, verses 1 and 2 encourage me to:
- Give Him thanks (v.1a) – to simply thank Him for His grace, mercy, blessings, and provision in all areas of my life. Giving thanks, after all, is God’s will for us in Christ Jesus (I Thessalonains 5:18 )
- Tell others of His wonders (v.1b) – not just about His handiwork in creation, but about His activity in my life. In other words, be a witness for God and His Son. To bring attention to Jesus.
- Be glad and exult in God (v.2a) – like Paul in Philippians 4:11, to be content in whatever circumstance or situation I find myself in in life and to enjoy the God with whom I have relationship. “What is the chief end of man? Man’s chief end is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.”
- Praise His name (v.2b) – to reverence His name, which is majestic (Psalm 8:1,9), and worship Him in spirit and in truth (John 4:24).
It has been good for my soul to do this today. It will be good for me to do this every day.
God is good. To Him be the glory.
Happy New Year!